Thursday 18 July 2013

[Tutorial] The Trend: Chevrons


The Trend

The chevron trend has become a popular design for nail artists in the recent years. A chevron design incorporates an inverted V-shaped pattern and may refer to a series of zigzag-like designs or simple V shaped designs. The best thing about this trend is that it looks highly sophisticated but is fairly simple to accomplish. It can be done alone, paired with other patterns and works well with any colours!


The Look


This is the design that can be achieved with the tutorial below. This chevron print uses a self-drawn and self-cut tape technique. There are also other ways of creating chevrons but I will do tutorials for these in future posts.


The Technique


The polishes I have used in this manicure are China Glaze ‘Flip Flop Fantasy’, China Glaze ‘I’m Not Lion’ and Seche Vite fast dry top coat. You will also need scissors, a pen and some tape.


Before you begin painting your nails at all, some preparation needs to be done. Use a pen to draw a zigzag pattern on some tape. I use masking tape because I find it does not rip as easily when it is cut. Continue drawing these zigzags parallel to the first one. Carefully cut out these ‘zigzag strips’ and place onto the edge of your table.



1)      Paint your nails a desired colour, until it is opaque.
2)      Place the ‘pre-cut zigzag strips’ onto the nail, leaving gaps the same width as the strips. Press these down firmly.
3)      Paint your nails a second colour until it is opaque.
4)      While the polish is wet, remove the tape immediately. 



You can repeat the chevron design on all your nails or mix and match with various patterns! On my pinky and index fingers I placed one of the zig zag tapes about 1/3 of the way down my nail and painted the gold at the tips only.

For a more clean and professional look, you can buy pinking shears which enable you to cut the zigzags without drawing them.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Also, be on the lookout for future posts on other chevron methods! 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features and Suggestions



Suggestion #1: Go the black and white chevron! Pair this with some statement red and you have a fun and classy look!
These nails are by @graciezac on Instagram. You can also find her on http://itsallaboutthepolish.blogspot.com.au/


Suggestion #2: Combine the chevron design with 'watercolour nails'or gradients.
These nails are by @xxlovelauren on Instagram. You can find her on http://talesaboutnails.wordpress.com/



4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love the design and the choice of colours :) xx


    http://ms-jelena.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly amazing sweetie i want to try the chevron mani you have inspired me to do it your step by step will definetly help me thank you so much. I will post it on my Ig mrssanchez47 page and tag you i hope you dont mind. I love your nailart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words! I am truly happy that I was able to inspire you! Hopefully the mani works out for you and I would love to see it!

      Delete