Saturday 28 June 2014

[Tutorial] Floral Chevron Nails


As you are probably aware, I have been inactive on both my blog and Instagram for quite awhile now. Over the past months I have had to deal with a couple of issues and decided to take a break from doing nail art designs. I am now ready to get back into it all with new tutorials and designs to come! 


Floral nails seem to always be my fall-back design as I feel they never fail to make your nails look highly sophisticated and impressive. I felt a bit adventurous and attempted to incorporate the floral look into a chevron design.


For this design you will need a white polish, a green polish and three shades of pink. From left to right, I used the colours OPI 'Alpine Snow', Ulta3 'Pale Dahlia', OPI 'Pink Friday', Sally Hansen 'Bubblegum Pink' and Sally Hansen 'Mint Sorbet'.


You will also need a couple of other nail art items. I used a dotting tool and thin paint brush to assist me with the flowers, however using a toothpick will also allow you to achieve the same effect. I also used striping tape, and two different sized pink gems (optional).


  1. Apply a white polish onto your nail until opaque. I used 2 coats. Let this dry completely or apply a layer of fast drying top coat.
  2. Cut two pieces of striping tape and place on the nail in a V shape.
  3. Paint the lightest pink shade onto the tip of the nail, making sure you are careful not to go over the striping tape.
  4. While the polish is still wet, peel off the striping tape.
  5. Use a dotting tool or toothpick to dab on a few pink blobs. Use the medium pink.
  6. Use a thin paint brush or toothpick to draw on small curved lines. Use the darkest pink.
  7. Use a thin paint brush or toothpick to draw small green petals next to the flowers.
  8. Finish off the design with a layer of top coat and place some pink gems along the V line created earlier.

This is such a simple design to achieve, yet it has the effect of making your nails look very sophisticated and pretty. I'd love to see any recreations of this design by tagging me @nailsbynikkih on Instagram!




1 comment: